Jiguo Cao's Research
(Redirected from Main Page)
== Research Interests ==
- Functional Data Analysis (More FDA)
- Estimating Dynamic Models from noisy data (More Dynamical Models)
- Nonparametric Smoothing (Nonparametric Smoothing Example, Matlab function for peanalized spline smothing, R function, Matlab function for spline smothing without penalty. They used a Matlab package called fdaM, developed by Jim Ramsay.)
- Statistical Genetics
Statistical Methodology Papers in Refereed Journals
- Yunlong Nie, Liangliang Wang and Jiguo Cao, 2017, "Estimating Time-Varying Directed Gene Regulation Networks". Accepted by Biometrics. It has a supplementary file.
- Baisen Liu, Liangliang Wang, Jiguo Cao, 2017, "Estimating Functional Linear Mixed-Effects Regression Models". Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 106, 153-164.
- Jianghu (James) Dong, Liangliang Wang, Jagbir Gill and Jiguo Cao, 2017, "Functional Principal Component Analysis of GFR Curves after Kidney Transplant". Accepted by Statistical Methods in Medical Research. It has a supplementary file.
- Jingfei Zhang and Jiguo Cao, 2016, "Finding Common Modules in a Time-Varying Network with Application to the Drosophila Melanogaster Gene Regulation Network". Accepted by Journal of the American Statistical Association. It has a supplementary file.
- Yunlong Nie, Liangliang Wang, Baisen Liu and Jiguo Cao, 2017, "Supervised Functional Principal Component Analysis". Accepted by Statistics and Computing. It has a supplementary file.
- Peijun Sang, Liangliang Wang and Jiguo Cao, 2016, "Parametric Functional Principal Component Analysis". Accepted by Biometrics. The supplementary file and R codes can be downloaded at http://people.stat.sfu.ca/~cao/Research/PFPCA.htm
- Xinyu Zhang, Jiguo Cao, Raymond J. Carroll, 2016, "Estimating Varying Coefficients for Partial Differential Equation Models". Accepted by Biometrics.
- Zhenhua Lin, Jiguo Cao, Liangliang Wang, Haonan Wang, 2017, "Locally Sparse Estimator for Functional Linear Regression Models". Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 26, 306-318. The supplementary file, an R package, and Matlab codes can be downloaded at http://people.stat.sfu.ca/~cao/Research/FLR/
- Jiguo Cao, Liangliang Wang, Zhongwen Huang, Junyi Gai, and Rongling Wu, 2017, "Functional Mapping of Multiple Dynamic Traits". Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 22, 60-75..
- Nicole Croteau, Farouk S Nathoo, Jiguo Cao, Ryan Budney, 2017, "High-Dimensional Classification for Brain Decoding". Springer Publishing: Edited Refereed Volume/Book, Theme: Big and Complex Data Analysis: Statistical Methodologies and Applications.
- Zhenhua Lin, Liangliang Wang, Jiguo Cao, 2016, "Interpretable Functional Principal Component Analysis". Biometrics, 72, 846-854. This paper has a supplementary file. The computing code can be download here.
- Xinyu Zhang, Jiguo Cao, Raymond J. Carroll, 2015, "On the Selection of Ordinary Differential Equation Models With Application to Predator-Prey Dynamical Models". Biometrics, 71, 131-138.
- Douglas G. Woolford, Charmaine B. Dean, David L. Martell,Jiguo Cao, B.M. Wotton, 2014, "Lightning-caused Forest Fire Risk in Northwestern Ontario, Canada is Increasing and Associated with Anomalies in Fire-Weather". Environmetrics, 25, 406–416.
- Liangliang Wang, Jiguo Cao, James O. Ramsay, D. Burger, C. Laporte, J. Rockstrohk (2014), "Estimating Mixed-Effects Differential Equation Models". Statistics and Computing, 24, 111-121.
- X. Xun, J. Cao, B. Mallick, A. Maity, and R. J. Carroll(2013) "Parameter Estimation of Partial Differential Equation Models". Journal of the American Statistical Association, 108, 1009-1020. Download the supplementary file.
- X. Wang, J. Cao, and J.Z. Huang (2013) "Analysis of Variance based on Integro-Differential Equations". Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 18, 475-491.
- W. Luo, Jiguo Cao, M. Gallagher, and J. Wiles (2013) "Estimating the Intensity of Ward Admission and its Effect on Emergency Department Access Block". Statistics in Medicine, 32, 2681-2694.
- O. Chkrebtii and J. Cao (2013) "Modeling Spatio-Temporal Trends in the Productivity of North Pacific Salmon". Environmetrics, 24, 31-40. Download the supplementary file.
- J. Cao, J. Z. Huang and H. Wu (2012) "Penalized Nonlinear Least Squares Estimation of Time-Varying Parameters in Ordinary Differential Equations". Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 21, 42-56.
- J. Cao, J. Cai, L. Wang (2012) "Estimating Curves and Derivatives with Parametric Penalized Spline Smoothing". Statistics and Computing, 22(5), 1059-1067.
- J. Cao and W. Yao (2012) "Semiparametric Mixture of Binomial regression with a degenerate component". Statistica Sinica, 22, 27-46.
- The proofs for the asymptotic results are given in the supplementary file.
- J. Cao (2012) "Estimating Generalized Semiparametric Additive Models using Parameter Cascading". Statistics and Computing, 22(4), 857-865.
- L. Wang and J. Cao (2012) "Estimating Parameters in Delay Differential Equation Models". Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 17, 68-83.
- R. Wu and J. Cao (2011) "Blockwise empirical likelihood for time series of counts". Journal of Multivariate Analysis 102(3), 661-673.
- R. Wu*, J. Cao*, Z. Huang, Z. Wang, J. Gai and E. Vallejos (2011) "Systems mapping: how to improve the genetic mapping of complex traits through design principles of biological systems". BMC Systems Biology 5:84, 1-24.(*These two authors contributed to this work equally)
- L. M. Ainsworth, R. Routledge, and J. Cao (2011) "Functional Data Analysis in Ecosystem Research: the Decline of Oweekeno Lake Sockeye Salmon and Wannock River Flow". Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics 16(2), 282-300.
- J. Cao, L. Wang and J. Xu (2011) "Robust Estimation for Ordinary Differential Equation Models". Biometrics 67, 1305-1313.
- It has a supplementary file.
- C. X. Feng, J. Cao, and L. Bendell-Young (2011) "Exploring Spatial and Temporal Variations of Cadmium Concentrations in Pacific Oysters from British Columbia". Biometrics 67, 1142-1152.
- J. Chen, W. Li, A. Lau, J. Cao and K. Wang (2010) "Automated Load Curve Data Cleansing in Power Systems". IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 1 (2), 213-221.
- D. G. Woolford, J. Cao, C. B. Dean, and D. L. Martell (2010) "Looking for climate change signals in the fire ignition record for a region of the Canadian boreal forest". Environmentrics 21, 1-8
- J. Cao, J. O. Ramsay (2010) "Linear Mixed Effects Modeling by Parameter Cascading". Journal of the American Statistical Association 105(489): 365-374. doi:10.1198/jasa.2009.tm09124.
- J. Cao, J. O. Ramsay (2009) "Generalized Profiling Estimation for Global and Adaptive Penalized Spline Smoothing". Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 53, 2550-2562.
- J. Cao, H. Zhao (2008) "Estimating dynamic models for gene regulation networks". Bioinformatics 24, 1619-1624.
- J. Cao, G. Fussmann, J. O. Ramsay (2008) "Estimating a Predator-Prey Dynamical Model with the Parameter Cascades Method". Biometrics 64, 959-967.
- J. Cao, J. O. Ramsay (2007) "Parameter Cascades and Profiling in Functional Data Analysis". Computational Statistics 22(3), 335-351.
- J. O. Ramsay, G. Hooker, D. Campbell, and J. Cao (2007), "Parameter estimation for differential equations: a generalized smoothing approach" (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B 69,741-796.
Statistical Application Papers in Refereed Journals
- Gerald S. Zavorsky, Connie C. W. Hsia, J. Michael B. Hughes, Colin D. R. Borland, Hervé Guénard, Ivo van der Lee, Irene Steenbruggen, Robert Naeije, Jiguo Cao, Anh Tuan Dinh-Xuan, 2016, ``Standardization and application of the single-breath determination of nitric oxide uptake in the lung". European Respiratory Journal, 49. pii: 1600962.
- Mikael Sodergren, Colleen McGregor, Hugo A. Farne, Jiguo Cao, Zhijun Lv, Sanjay Purkayastha, Thanos Athanasiou, Ara Darzi, Paraskevas Paraskeva, 2013, ``A randomized comparative study evaluating learning curves of novices in a basic single-incision laparoscopic surgery task". Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 17, 569-575.
- Nicoleta O. Kolozsvari, Amin Andalib, Pepa Kaneva, Jiguo Cao, Melina C. Vassiliou, Gerald M. Fried, Liane S. Feldman, 2011, ``Sex is not everything: The role of gender in early performance of a fundamental laparoscopic skill". Surgical Endoscopy, 25, 1037-1042.
- Nicoleta O. Kolozsvari, Pepa Kaneva, Chantalle Brace, Genevieve Chartrand, Marilou Vaillancourt, Jiguo Cao, Daniel Banaszek, Melina C. Vassiliou, Gerald M. Fried, Liane S. Feldman, 2011, ``Mastery versus standard proficiency target for basic laparoscopic skill training: Effect on skill transfer and retention". Surgical Endoscopy, 25, 2063 2070.
- Lorenzo E. Ferri, Jonathan Cools-Lartigue, Jiguo Cao, Linda Miller, Serge Mayrand, Gerald M. Fried, and Gail Darling, 2010, ``Clinical Predictors of Achalasia". Diseases of the Esophagus, 23, 76-81.
- Liane S. Feldman, Jiguo Cao, Amin Andalib, Shannon Fraser, and Gerald M. Fried, 2009, ``A method to characterize the learning curve for performance of a fundamental laparoscopic simulator task: Defining `learning potential' and `learning rate'\,". Surgery, 146(2), 381-386.
- Gerald S. Zavorsky, Jiguo Cao, and Juan Murias, 2008, ``Reference values of pulmonary diffusing capacity for nitric oxide in an adult population". Nitric Oxide, 18, 70-79.
- Gerald S. Zavorsky, Jiguo Cao, Nancy E. Mayo, Rina Gabbay, and Juan M. Murias, 2007, ``Arterial versus Capillary Blood Gases: a Meta-analysis". Respiratory Physiology \& Neurobiology, 155(3), 268-279.
- A. L. McCluney, M. C. Vassiliou, P. A. Kaneva, Jiguo Cao, D. D. Stanbridge, L. S. Feldman, and G. M. Fried, 2007, ``FLS simulator performance predicts intraoperative laparoscopic skill", Surgical Endoscopy, 21(11), 1991-1995.
- A. Taqi, L. S. Feldman, N. E. Mayo, Jiguo Cao, J. Winocour, F. Carli, G. M. Fried, 2006, ``Validation of the Two Minute Walk Test (2MWT) as an objective measure of in-hospital postoperative recovery", Journal of Surgical Research, 130(2), 211.
- Jiguo Cao, Marie-France Valois, and Mark S. Goldberg, 2006, ``An S-Plus Function to Calculate Relative Risks for Regression Models Using Natural Splines", Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 84, 58-62.
Refereed Publications in Conference Proceedings
- Jiguo Cao and Guangzhe Fan, 2010, ``Signal Classification Using Random Forest with Kernels", AICT, page 191-195, IEEE Sixth Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications.
- Guangzhe Fan, Jiguo Cao, and Jiheng Wang, 2010, ``Functional Classification for Temporal Gene Expression Data with Kernel-Induced Random Forest", page 77-81, IEEE Symposium of Computational Intelligence of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology.
- Peijun Sang, Yunlong Nie, and Jiguo Cao, 2015, ``Comments on: Probability Enhanced Effective Dimension Reduction for Classifying Sparse Functional Data", TEST.
- Jiguo Cao, Xin Qi and Hongyu Zhao, 2012, ``Modelling gene regulation networks using ordinary differential equations", Chapter 12 in the book Next Generation Microarray Bioinformatics, Humana Press, edited by Junbai Wang, Aik-choon Tan, and Tianhai Tian.
- Jiguo Cao and Liangliang Wang, 2011, Discussion of the paper ``Riemann manifold Langevin and Hamiltonian Monte Carlo methods" by Girolami and Calderhead. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B 73, 177-178.
- Jiguo's PhD Thesis (2006)